Photographed for the Deloitte Review at the MIT Media Lab. This was the second time I was fortunate enough to photograph Sandy Pentland, this genius computer wizard. The MIT Media Lab has no shortage of fun, strange and visually stimulating backdrops to shoot against.
I had to shoot in three locations in just twenty minutes with Sandy. We captured everything with one minute to spare. While I wanted to talk about his current work and the role of automation in the coming years, we ended up chatting about his cross-country motorcycle trip. We connected over the beauty of the Southwest and shared some stories from the road. A great subject and a pleasure to work with.
Who is Alex "Sandy" Pentland? Well, he is a prominent computer scientist, entrepreneur, and professor known for his contributions to the fields of human-computer interaction, social computing, and artificial intelligence.
Here is an overview of his work and accomplishments:
- Academic Career: Alex Pentland is a Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the Media Lab. He holds the Toshiba Chair and directs the Human Dynamics Group, which focuses on researching how people interact with technology and each other.
- Research: Pentland's research spans various aspects of technology and society, including wearable computing, digital privacy, social interactions, and data analytics. His work often involves studying large-scale data to gain insights into human behavior, social patterns, and the impact of technology on society.
- Wearable Technology: He has been a pioneer in the field of wearable technology, investigating how wearable devices can be used to capture and analyze human behaviors, social interactions, and health-related data.
- Social Physics: Pentland has developed the concept of "social physics," which involves using data-driven methods to study and understand patterns of human behavior within social systems. He explores how these patterns can be applied to improve decision-making, organizational performance, and community dynamics.
- Entrepreneurship: Apart from his academic work, Pentland has been involved in founding and advising several companies in the fields of data analytics, digital privacy, and social interactions.
- Awards and Recognition: He has received numerous awards for his contributions to science and technology, including being elected as a fellow of various academies and receiving awards from organizations like the World Economic Forum.
- Authorship: Pentland has authored several books and research papers, including "Honest Signals: How They Shape Our World" and "Social Physics: How Social Networks Can Make Us Smarter."
Deloitte is a multinational professional services network. Deloitte is one of the largest and most well-known professional services firms in the world, offering a wide range of services including audit and assurance, consulting, tax advisory, risk management, financial advisory, and more. The firm serves clients in various industries and sectors, including business, government, and nonprofit organizations.
Deloitte operates as a network of member firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity. However, these member firms collaborate under the umbrella of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited to provide a comprehensive suite of services to clients globally. The network has a presence in multiple countries and regions, making it a significant player in the professional services industry.
The services provided by Deloitte aim to help organizations solve complex business challenges, navigate regulatory landscapes, optimize their operations, manage risks, and enhance their financial performance. The firm is also involved in conducting research and publishing insights on various business and industry topics.